Friday 14 December 2018

Fixing Me Bits !

Tomorrow is the day I go under the knife and get my lady bits fixed !

I’d be lying if I said I’m not nervous. 

I’ve been diagnosed with a grade one cystcele and a grade two rectocele. The bladder prolapse is minor and doesn’t cause symptoms so this is being left alone but the back wall prolapse causes issues everyday. 

They’ll make a cut in the back wall of my vagina,  remove the pocket of weak tissue and then stitch it all back up. A couple more stitches down in to the bit between my bits to tighten all that up and pack my vajayjay with swabs until the following day. Sounds delightful doesn’t it!

Hopefully this will be a means to an end. My symptoms make day to day life tough. If I need to poop I get no warning I have to run. I often have to press on the back wall of my lady bits in order to poop, this is affectionately  known as ‘splinting’. I should, after some healing, be able to poop like a regular person again !!!

So while I know what’s going to happen, I’m still feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing. It’s more the recovery for me. With such an active job, a preschooler to chase around and a busy home to run I’m nervous I’ll not heal well or undo the good work.

I plan to be good and follow the guidelines given to me at my pre-op assessment ...
  • Lift nothing heavier than four pints of milk for 6 weeks
  • Walking is the only form of exercise for 10-12 weeks
  • Take stool softeners regularly
  • Rest
  • Make sure you’ve someone to help for some weeks
  • No driving until you can turn safely and perform an emergency stop without pain
  • No intimate shenanigans for at least 10 weeks 
  • Drink plenty of water
As soon as I feel able, I plan to walk and increase my distance. Also, get my breathing in check and Hypopressives as soon as my body has healed. 



So why the blog? I’ve never written one before. Part of my job includes hours each week educating women about their bodies andallowing healing time and being kind and patient with herself. It’s time to follow my own words and recovery plan to get me fit again. 

I now realise how common pelvic organ prolapse (POP) is but how little women talk about it and live with symptoms for years and years. Moreover, women who experience surgical repairs post delivery will have experienced the same healing as I’m going to go through. I figure it all needs talking about and honestly too ! Have you ever heard anyone openly admit that she’s got to pop a finger inside her nunny to poop !

The last task for the night was an enema ! Well that was like the scene from from dumb and dumber. The nurse warned me it could work quickly but it was more potent than I expected ! 

I’ll leave you with that delightful image and catch you on the flip side of surgery. 



17/12/18

So here I am, 12 hours post op and I’m already grumpy !

I’m uncomfortable, but the pain killers are good. I’ve a catheter in which I’m hating, I feel like I need to wee all the time ! I’ve so much packing in my vagina I feel like I’ve been kicked with steel toe capped boots. This ward is like a furnace and lights out isn’t until 11 so we’re all blinded ! 

Truthfully I’m ok. Grouchy, sore, tired but ok and looking forward to going home tomorrow. I miss my hubby. My kids and even the dog. I’m struggling already with being stuck in bed. As a usually active person, the next twelve weeks is going to be extremely hard...

18/12/18

Gosh I’m tired. I had about 2 hours sleep. The nurses kept the big lights on until 11:30pm then the woman next to me had to have a catheter fitted so that was noisy and the last opposite her was bleeping all night. Just to add to it all the lady opposit me was snoring all night. Oh and my pain medication was given to me 90 mins late in spite of me asking for it. So not a good night.

So the gauze packing was removed this morning, looked like about a metre yanked out of my foof. You know the trick where the magician pulls a string of hankies from a hat.... you get the idea ! The catheter was promptly removed after that. I’m yet to have my first wee without it. Im pretty nervous about going to the loo. 




This afternoon my gorgeous boy came in to cheer me up. I’ve got to stay in another night as my bladder is being a bit lazy and my blood pressure keeps going very low. I’m pretty pale and sleepy too. 

I braved the loo and have managed a couple of wees. Not too painful, just a little stingy so a rinse off with water as I wee helps. I’m really tired and struggling to focus on objects and screens for any length of time so it’s taken me some time to write this. 

I’ve been feeling a bit neglected today. Having to ask for water and medication frequently. At one point my cannula became loose so I asked for help and the nurse went away never to return. Later I woke to blood all over my bed, dry blood on my hand and the cannula hanging onto my wrist by the end of the tape. 

Still not long to go and I’ll be back in my own bed. 

19/12/18



I’m back in my own bed and someone missed me ! She’s been here with me since I got home this morning. 

I’m off the heavy painkillers now, so no more tramadol or codine. Regular paracetamol and ibruprofen from now on. Still bleeding a little and things downstairs feel a bit heavy and pulling if I stand. Sitting seems to put quite a bit of pressure down below so I’ve taken to laying on my side. 

Wees are fine, albeit a bit stingy but I’m yet to do the dreaded number two! I’m on lactulose and another softner so hopefully things won’t be too horrible. 

I was brave and had a look. I was expecting to see a car crash and actually, it’s all pretty tidy. Swollen but tidy. So not as bad as I was expecting. 

As I’m still bleeding, I’ve steered clear of any postnatal rehab exercises just yet. At only 3 days post op, I’m focusing on healing, resting and keeping clean for now. 

Still no poop ! Feeling pretty bloated now too...

20/12/18

I’m feeling pretty gunky today. Discharge is definitely heavier today but still a fair bit of fresh blood too, so I’m taking that as a need to rest sign. Everything feels pretty tender and stingy. Pain wise it’s not too bad really. Just a few cramps and stings, all to be expected I think.

Still so very tired too! Guess that’s still the anaesthetic. My preschooler is struggling to understand what’s going on. He had an operation some months ago so he understands mummy went for a sleep over at the hospital and saw the doctors in their pj’s and funny hats too but he doesn’t really understand why I can’t lift him to cuddle him or why mummy isn’t up and about much. This morning we’ve snuggled up in bed watching ‘how to train your dragon’

Hubby is knackered. Full time preschooler, house husband and work is taking its toll. My mum arrives today to help out. Hopefully that will relieve some of the pressure on him. I do feel for him, this morning it was like trying to catch and dress the Tasmanian devil who was screaming like a mandrake plant. That’s mission impossible right there !



So little one didn’t make it to preschool and had a day at home with me and his Nana & Sister. He clearly needed to reconnect with mummy after some days apart. I treasure moments like this. 

This afternoon saw me experience my 1st post-op-poop. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting and very odd being able to void without having to assist myself ! Funny how you get used to doing things a certain way. It was clearly exhausting as my milestone moment was quickly followed by a three hour nap !



21/12/18

This was my achievement this morning. Various sitting stages throughout but Christmas presents in the making. I’m not very good at making candles but it makes me feel nice to give people home made gifts for xmas. These are soya candles, dyed blue with a sweet pea fragrance. 

I reached my limit though. My body really lets me know when I’ve done enough standing or sitting in the wrong way. So I’m back on the sofa with my feet up. Everything starts feeling very heavy and I find it much harder to activate (brace) my pelvic floor muscles when moving once the muscles fatigue.  Its like my whole stomach starts to ache, but I assume that’s the abdominal wall having to compensate for the weak pelvic floor muscles? 

I’m now 5 days post op and the nurses did warn me I may be feeling frustrated about now, like I’m not really healing and I have to say they’re right. I’m still oozing blood and discharge downstairs. I still can’t do very much. It’s still stinging when I wee and everything still feels very sore. Frustrated is definitely the word for it. I’m desperate to do more ‘normal’ things but I know if I push it, I’ll compromise my healing. Must be good !

I was good! And this is what I achieved this afternoon ...



22/12/18
Today is not starting as a good day. I had an awful lot of pain last night. Everything is stinging so I’ve ordered a peri bottle. Really hope that helps.

I joined this group on Facebook some time ago and I’ve found it really supportive. So many women going through the same or similar. I really find blogging and the group great therapy ! 


I’m sure sitting yesterday is the cause of the pain. Although I was on the sofa I think the pressure on the stitches is what’s caused the pain. So today I’m in bed. Feeling grumpy and fed up. I can hear everyone else downstairs carrying on with their day and having fun. Not that I want them in here with me making a fuss but it’s lonely staying in bed. Hopefully some more sleep and rest will help me feel a bit brighter. 



1st half of the day was tough. I was in pain, groggy and feeling low. Then my brain engaged and I remembered that there is an essential oil which is antibacterial, antifungal, soothing and pain relieving which can be used neat on skin, including broken skin and scars. It’s known to help skin heal many times faster and I had it at home. Lavender oil. So every couple of hours, I’ve popped some on and already my skin is feeling better. The rest of the day I’ve managed to sew, watch some tv, potter about my house and spend time with my family. Fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow.


24/12/18

I’m seven whole days post op now. Planning to update weekly or maybe bi monthly from now on.  

Odd picture above - I’ll explain ! A stool (squatty potty) and a peri bottle. So the stool I’ve had for ages as putting your feed up on the stool helps your body to be in correct alignment for opening your bowels. Given that it’s been virtually impossible for me to do that for nearly 4 years I was willing to try just about anything and it does help. The peri bottle is fab ! Warm water and a bit of lavender and sprinkle over your bits and bobs as you wee or after for a wash. I’m doing this several times a day at the moment to keep thing clean.

Pain wise I’m ok. Less swollen for sure. But things feel prickly... like I’ve stitches poking into me in places I can feel them on the surface. I guess things are just moving. 

I’m still bleeding a little and I feel like I stink, that irony bloody post birth smell. Everyone assures me I don’t stink but even so I’m washing and changing underwear several times a day. 

I was wearing cloth pads but I’ve found they put too much pressure down there just now so it’s easier to just change underwear several times a day. 

Tummy wise, I’m managing to poop unaided most days ! Which is still very odd. I’m so used to going and not feeling empty and having to help my body remove what remains it’s really rather odd just going to the loo ! Needless to say I’m still swigging back the laxatives and keeping the diet not too heavy on the iron. 

I went out yesterday to see a friend who recently had a baby. Other than that I’ve not left the house. I’m getting a bit of cabin fever and I really need to get some fresh air. It’s Christmas day tomorrow so I’m planning a short stroll. I need to just breathe!

It doesn’t feel hugely Christmassy and I’m anxious I’m not going to be ‘healed’ enough when work start back up in a few weeks. I guess I just need to keep following the rules and allowing my body to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment